Fortrose Harbour today is a quiet backwater leased by Chanonry Sailing Club and supporting leisure craft and activity – but it wasn’t always like this. From its foundation early in the 19th century right through to the outbreak of the Second World War, Fortrose Harbour was a commercial port and a hive of activity. The Harbour has a secret too – during the Second World War it was a ‘hush hush’ combined operations base and had a direct role in the preparations for the D-Day landings in 1944. Its story is contained in the seven documents listed on this page.
The original version of ‘Harbouring Heritage’ was ‘published’ (posted) in March 2012; the first significant revision was in January 2015 containing information from further research by the author or from contributions gratefully received from others.
A revision took place in October 2017 to coincide with the bicentenary of the construction of the Harbour and contains new information in all but one section.
Subsequently in March 2021 all the documents have been revised - this is the version now posted on this website.
Please see the Introduction document below for contents and acknowledgements and click here to see the Harbour Bicentenary event page.